What is Social Distancing and why is it important?
Social distancing involves taking steps to limit the number of people you come into close contact with. It can help you reduce the risk of getting sick.
This is not the same as self-isolation. You do not need to remain indoors, but you do need to avoid being in close contact with people.
We are asking all Albertans to practice social distancing to help protect themselves and limit the spread of COVID-19.
To protect yourself and others:
- keep at least 6 feet (the length of a bicycle) from others when going out for groceries, medical trips and other essential needs
- limit the number of times you leave your home for errands
- try to shop at less busy times
- order online to have groceries or other items delivered if possible
- go for a walk in your neighborhood or park while maintaining distance from others
- avoid overcrowding in elevators or other enclosed spaces
- follow Alberta’s recommendations on mass gatherings
- wash or sanitize your hands after touching communal surfaces
Coping with Depression and Mental Health in Isolation
The COVID-19 pandemic can have a significant impact on Albertans’ mental health.
Resources are available if you, or someone you know, is struggling or needs a little extra support, advice on handling stressful situation, or ways to talk to children.
- Mental health and coping with COVID-19 (CDC)
- Talking with children about COVID-19 (CDC)
- Help in Tough Times (AHS)
CDC – Manage Anxiety and Stress
How to Cope with Anxiety about COVID-19
COVID-19: Mental Health and Well-being
Coping with unhealthy relationships during isolation and social distancing
- If you or someone you know is at risk of family violence, help is available.
- Call our 24-hour Family Violence Info Line at 310-1818 to get anonymous help in over 170 languages.
- Find information on shelter and financial supports
- Learn how to recognize and prevent family violence
If you do not feel comfortable calling the above number please call our office at 403-625-4417 and will get you help.
Where to turn for help during COVID-19 within the community
Claresholm Covid19 Helpers on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Claresholm-Covid19-Helpers-101527194822273/